Friday, October 4, 2013

In my quest to get a look at all of the major fitment issues I decided to see what difficulties were waiting for me in the dash area.
The first issue was mounting the dash steel sub-frame. This mounts on the inner door jambs and on the console. With the old body in place it was no longer possible for me to access the mount points as they were now behind the 68 door jambs.  I drilled out some 1/4" holes on the left and right mounting flange and bolted some steel "T" nuts to the back side then welded them on the side nearest the main sub-frame. Once in place I cut along side of them. Once this was done I was able to unbolt them and I had two flanges that could be bolted to the 06 door jambs that allowed me to then bolt the sub-frame to the flanges and the console.  With some relief cuts on the top corners the sub frame went into place with out a fight.





Next it was time for the dash face. I was anxious to see how it would look. I resigned myself to the fact that if I was going to use the stock 06 dash I was going to have to customize the top of the dash to get it down in the car a little better. I cut the top of the dash completely off and will replace it with a much thinner piece of material. This took about 1" of height out of the dash gauge pod area and made the rest of the dash flat with the windshield bed. Although the dash pod is still a little high compared to the old school dash I am not unhappy with it. As of now I kind of like just fine. The real challenge is just ahead with the HVAC ducting and wiper mounting. 






No comments:

Post a Comment