Monday, October 21, 2013

Before I could see if the wiper assembly from the donor car would work in the space I now had at the base of the windshield I had to first remove the actuating arms and cut the mount bar so that the centers of the pivot posts lined up with the 68 wiper locations. I had to cut a good amount off of the upper steering wheel stabilization mount and modify it to attach lower in the sub cowl. I then had to make sheet metal closures around the mount and small clearance wells with drain ports for any water reaching the sub cowl area. All of this had to be done to see if I would end up with enough room to install some heavily modified actuating arms. Since I have a lot of items that I need to bench test I made a small box that is just out of frame in the last picture that houses a 12 volt battery wired to two studs that I can easily attach alligator clips to . The positive is hooked to a switch so that I can bump the power to the motor quickly as I knew the swing arms would probably hit a bunch of stuff before I got them to clear.
Since the length of the actuating arms play into the sweep of the wiper blades I made up some wooden mock up blades to see if the swing was in the neighborhood. Some fine tuning will no doubt be necessary but I am satisfied enough to move on to the defroster and heating duct work.










No comments:

Post a Comment