Monday, December 9, 2013

To build the final piece of the upper dash I started out shaping a piece of steel to create a rim over the gauge cluster. I put some 1/16" double face tape on the bottom side to space it off to allow for the vinyl to be applied to this piece later.
The second picture shows the rim in place.
The third picture is of the paper pattern for the steel piece to fit into this area.
The last picture in this series shows the clips I formed and welded to the under front side of the panel. These will grab the piece of the forward permanent dash section providing for a blind fastened front edge. You will notice that I am simply using velcro to hold down the front of the dash pod section to the dash pod.





The first picture here shows the cover for the dash pod area installed.
After that I built the rest of the top dash that extends over to cover the climate control and passenger area. Two small offset flanges were welded to the bottom so that I could secure this section with screws from underneath the dash.
The third picture shows the upper dash removed from the car. I will bondo it so that irregularities in the surface won't telegraph through the vinyl.
The last picture shows a side view . You will notice that I cut a piece of 3/8 tube in halve and welded it to the front edge to create a bull nose or rounded front edge.








No comments:

Post a Comment