Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Well time seems to really fly these days. In a couple of weeks it will be 1 year since I went down to Georgia to pic up my 68 Charger shell for this project. I saw a discussion on another thread about the cost of these projects and did a little cypherin' my self. I was feeling pretty good about how much actual money I had spent on the project thus far and then I started to calculate the hours. I started to work in earnest on this thing in January of 2013 and as you can see I still have a long way to go. Conservatively I would say that I spend about 12 hrs on average a week working on it so thus far that comes to about 700 hrs give or take. Now if you calculate a low shop rate of about $50 per hour that is about $35,000.00 worth of labor. I could have saved a lot of time by buying AMD replacement sheet metal but that would have been real money I would rather spend on things I know I can't do. So the way I am figuring if you wanted to go into business building these things you could build them for about $100,000.00 and sell them for about $50,000.00. That fits in with all of my projects in the past which are based on the theory of negative profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment