Sunday, September 8, 2013

Once I got the body off of the frame it was clear to see some areas that needed some more work . I ended up replacing the rear right side upper wheel opening. Took some time to go over and clean up some rust issues I couldn't reach also. I cleaned and treated the inner rockers and added a new pinch weld flange in a location that would be plumb to the door sill pinch weld as the new car chassis has this arrangement. So weird that the distance between the door sill pinch weld  on the 68 is the same width as the 06 Charger. I am not complaining. The pictures show the added flange which is stepped 1/4 inch and over laid on the inside of the rocker and counter welded on the outside. This will be seam sealed. The picture of the right side of the car and the completed flange show it dipping down at the back. This is an intentional little custom tweak I hope looks good in the end. It mimics the old Nascar flared quarters.




The first picture is of the inner rocker rust primed. Kind of working back and forth on the old and the new right now. I hopped over to start clearing the rest of the material that would be in the way on the new chassis. Some of this is a rough guess from measurements as I will have to see where the exact interferences are as I lower the shell down on the new chassis. 
Old time hot rod guys probably never had to clear expansion foam out of the frame rails. The stuff gets everywhere. The last pic is the frame rail cleared down to where it is plumb and the new shell will be able to slip over it. Sounds easy anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment