Monday, April 4, 2016

 I am a more than a little miffed right now. Before I went through all the effort to mold my own grill for the fender scoops I had scoured E-Bay and Google searching for aftermarket ABS plastic grill that matched my needs. All searches ended in me finding grills that were dimensionally twice as big as I needed. Hence the big effort to mold my own piece.  I was doing some work on the nose and I was looking at the lower grill that I had made with some square stainless mesh and thought," You know. That larger honeycomb that I found might be just the ticket to match the lower grill with the scoops". Brilliant right? So I go back to E-Bay to find the stuff and......You guessed it. The size honeycomb I needed for the scoops is the first thing that pops up. brickwall

Moving on. Before I could put the fenders back on the car I had to create a back stop for the grill screens for those fender scoops. I took some pre-painted black aluminum and bent an "L" flange and fitted it up in the scoop about 1/2" in. I will be eventually affixing the screen in with a thin bead of black silicone that will be easily cut out if I need to remove the screens. The "L" flange is held in place with 3m double faced trim tape. If both surfaces are non-pourus and cleaned with Acetone this stuff doesn't let go. If you use it you better be sure your piece is where you want it before you stick it  down. Getting it back off is almost impossible.

Finally the last picture shows the painted grill in place.



No comments:

Post a Comment