Sunday, May 3, 2015

I haven't posted in a while because what I am doing might look like I am going backwards but it is a lot of little details that needs to be finished up.
I have the left front fender about 80% complete as far as the fab work and I jumped over to the right side to get it caught up and it is now pretty much done as far as fabrication. I had to add some metal to the back edge of the fender to true up the fender to door gap.  I finished shaping the fender scoop and welded it to the top of the fender. I cut a hole in the top of the fender not for aero or tire clearance but so that I can more completely paint the under side since it is not removable. With the inner fender tubs this is sealed up anyway so they are strictly for show here.
The third picture here is  the attachment I had to work out on the bottom of the fender to the rocker. I counter sunk and welded two !/4 20 flange nuts into the rocker and then added some slotted tabs to the fender so that I could adjust it in and out. Also in this picture you can see the outlines of where I lengthened the lower fender 2" and a patch I added to replace some rusty metal.
I could not get the fender gap on the right side as good as the left fender where it meets the hood so I had to compromise and add some metal to straighten out the gap.





Here are a couple of pictures of the right side fender off the car to show what it looks like after I added all of the stiffeners and attachment flanges.



The aluminum pan that ties in the fender nose and wheel tub had to be relieved  on the right side to allow clearance for the window washer fluid bottle to hang out of the bottom. I made a small cover to keep road debris from hitting it.





I also finished the support structure for the fenders and the nose although I still have to finish weld some areas after I remove it from the car. All of the tabs for the headlights are in place now and the curved ends to hold the fender front shape are in.





No comments:

Post a Comment