Thursday, May 21, 2015

I spent some time running the wiring harness for the overhead stuff through the
"A" posts and secured all that. This completes the wiring I had to re route so with all that in place I started on my headliner.





I kicked around how I was going to do the head liner and decided to make it in 3 pieces. I built a center over head console to house the map light assembly. The real reason for this center console is that it is a bit lower than the ceiling to the left and the right. This gives me an device to attach the left and right halves.
I thought about different materials but went with some .021 sheet metal as this is light and will allow me to get the shapes I want.



After I fit the upper console in the car I removed it to finish weld and add some pieces to the sides that will create a slot for the left and right ceiling panels to fit into. The material I used to make the edges is some Trex decking material . It mills easy and I used a router to ease the edges. Once it is covered it will have a rounded edge look.
With the console back up in place I started building the inner roof perimeter shaping it as I went. The job is complicated by the fact that I have to keep getting in and out of the car to fit the pieces up. This would be a lot more fun if I had the car upside down on a rotisserie.







No comments:

Post a Comment