Thursday, February 13, 2014

I promised myself I would not get distracted by anything that did not have to do with getting the car back on the ground and able to move under it's own power because at that point I can get the NC state inspector back out to start the operational title process going which could take 6 months. However I had a major "DUH" moment the other day. One of the things that has really upset me about this build that I had resigned myself to accept was the appearance of the rocker area. Since the car was down as far on the chassis as I could get it this initially left me with a 3" pinch weld that I was desperate to reduce. It really screwed up the side profile of the car. I managed to reduce it to 2 inches by cutting it flush on the bottom of the LX inner frame rail. I figured I would have to use some paint tricks to hide what was still too big looking for me. Much as I hate re doing something that I have already spent a lot of time on I never the less took a cutting wheel and cut the remainder of the pinch weld off and then removed the bottom of the LX inside frame rail. I added back some.060 steel to re mend the bottom of the rocker to the inner frame rail wall. This only pushed the pinch weld in 2 more inches inboard but the result was pretty dramatic.  I have only done the front half of the left side rocker but I am pretty excited with the results so far. It is kind of hard to see in the picture so I drew a diagram of what I ended up doing.




No comments:

Post a Comment