Sunday, June 8, 2014

It has been slow at work for the first time since November so I took a couple of days off and tried to make a little head way. I decided to focus and get as much sorted out on the drivers door as I could. I started with the outside door handle. I made a mock up of the upper  right corner of the door skin so that I could work out the location and re bend all of the actuator rods to work the lock and the handle. I used the 06 handles and it worked out pretty good.





You wouldn't think setting a door speaker would be a big deal but the 06 door speaker has a plastic housing that protects it from rain water that had to be accommodated. I had to relief cut the lower door to get it to sit flat with the inner door panel.




The top of the door on the SRT had a detail that I decided to try to reproduce. I used a small segment from the original door panel with the inner door handle as a guide and made the top panel out of .021 steel.
Using the original arm rest as a model I built one that looks something like it again out of .021 steel. I was able to scavenge the door pull section and work it into the new arm rest. I also cut out and set the power window buttons in this piece. This piece is separate from the upper so that it can be covered with vinyl as the top pieced will be.
Below the arm rest I began to shape the lower door panel out of bits and pieces of steel again trying to reproduce the style of the front 4 door inner panel.





I worked up the lower panel that will include a map pocket on the door since I was able to scavenge the speaker cover from the 06 which has the front side of the map pocket attached to it.





It is far from done but it is shaping up the way I had hoped. I had it on and off the car a couple of times making sure I wasn't getting jammed against the dash. Covering this is definitely going to be a challenge. I will have to Bondo all the seams and make some more foam transition pieces. It might seem like I am getting ahead of myself with this inner panel but locating all the innards and making sure all of the stuff works before I skin the door is prudent I think.






No comments:

Post a Comment